The lack of scientific progress regarding Lyme disease has created a lot of frustration within the Lyme community. Lyme patients are tired of being patronized, discounted and dismissed.
Thanks to the Tick Born Disease Working Group changes are going to be made. Within the two-day meeting of the HHS Federal Tick Borne Disease Working Group held on December 11th and 12th, on Washington D.C., vital questions were addressed.
Here’s a bullet point summary of the meeting:
DEVELOP ACCURATE DIAGNOSTIC TESTS
- Develop tests capable of recognizing all stages of the infection and the co-infections
- Discard the two tier testing approach
- Educate the patient regarding the test’s reliability (false negativity)
- Fund new research
- Examine together medical anecdote, control studies, empirical observations
- Leave aside egos, pride, intellectual rights, come together for a better cause.
FIND WAYS TO IMPROVE THE LIFE OF LYME PATIENTS
- Forget the CDC definition of diagnosis
- Recognize, treat Lyme and co-infections
- Create a national education course for medical providers
- Provide support to the doctors treating Lyme patients (no more penalties, disciplinary procedures, license suspension or other repercussions)
- Allow physicians to treat the patients and their symptoms.
METHODS OF PREVENTION
- Mass media prevention campaign
- Tick awareness and prevention curriculum should be developped and implemented in all forms of schooling
- Develop a safe and effective vaccine against all Borelia strains and co-infections
- Create proper screening technique to avoid transmitting Babesia to the national blood supply for the public’s safety.